Sharp pain in right nipple, 54 year old male. Any ideas ?

I have a sharp pain in my right nipple. It started with pain just to the touch and has now moved to constatnt pain. This started about three weeks ago. I am a 54 year old male.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Unilateral pain in the areola region may be due to inflammation due to an underlying cause. 3 weeks duration is high time enough for you to seek immediate medical examination. Constant pain at that.

Lot of other factors will be examined by your doctor like inspecting the surrounding areas, lymph nodes in the vicinity, lumps, discharge, tenderness amongst many other signs beyond the scope of this advice in here.

I would advice you to get medical attention asap for now. Possible treatment options depend on the diagnosis and are a lot better if attended to on time. Analgesics mostly NSAIDs on prescription along with other necessary prescription drugs may be included in the treatment.

Not to scare you, but your 54 year age consideration, due importance is given to rule out any initial stage malignancy if any. Don't worry as your doctor would be well equipped, I presume to offer you treatment help well in advance of its progression if in case. Hence, timely attention is needed.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.