Sharp pain in rib. Chest X-ray, calcium serum test came clear. Taking musclepro, mycoil, shellcal. Should I consult an orthopaedic?

Jan 2013

i am having sharp pain excruciating through my left rib i feel its a muscle spasm. it aggravates more when i lie down on the bed.I had done the chest x-ray and also the calcium serum tests. all reports are normal. while the under examination was given 2 dose of 2ml musclepro injection. as prescription given medicines like Mycoil, Pan 40 & shellcal 500mg

Have been on medication from last 2 days no visible improvement observed in the pain, have also applied ice and volini on the affected area but only minimal results observed

Request you to kindly let us know how many days does it take to show positive results in the condition. Do we have to consult an orthopaedic?

Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 25 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated details along with mentioned.
Do you have some sort of visible skin lesion in affected area?
Do you have past history of injury?

With the available described symptoms, there could be muscle ache/ dermatomal neuropathy/ herpes zoster.
Herpes zoster is a skin dermatomal lesion and chest is the common site. Affected skin area may have severe excruciating pain before visible skin vesicles.
As you have normal chest x XXXXXXX (as you have already mentioned), there could be least possibility of lower respiratory tract involvement.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and should go for thorough check up.
You should take NSAIDs along with muscle relaxants such as thiocholchiside or cholrzoxazone.
You should also take pregabalin/ gabapentin along with methylcobalamin.

You should also apply hot fomentation for better relief.
You should consult with orthopedic surgeon if you have history of injury.

Recovery may take 3-4 days.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava