Sharp pain in rectum and bowel movement is stopped. Feel like obstruction towards end of rectum. What to do?

Hi, I'm a 33 yr old male. A few years ago, while on the loo, I felt a sharp pain in my rectum and following that, the b.m sort of stopped. It was unusual for me so that natural reaction was to strain. It did not really alleviate and I felt unsatisfied afterwards. Following that day, I found myself pushing more and more (for almost 2-3 years) and it came to the point where I now am almost unable to have a b.m unless I use something to raise my feet. Even after this, it is slow and usually unpredictable / incomplete, even though I don't strain now, (since the last year or so) but towards the end of the b.m, it seems like the last bits of stool get stuck in the anus and refuse to exit (most of the time). Whenever this happens, my day is ruined, which is quite often. My life is overshadowed by this problem. I drink sufficient amounts of water and try to take more fiber. But this is a frequent occurrence. I feel like there is an obstruction towards the end of the rectum. What should I do?
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

I am very sorry to hear about your problem.
If you feel that the bowel movement is not complete and that there is something obstructing the stool from coming out, a sigmoidoscopy may be done to look in to the rectum if there is really any obstruction.
You can consult your gastroenterologist to fix a date for sigmoidoscopy.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini