Sharp pain in lower stomach to chest. what could be this?

I have experienced very sharp pains starting in my lower stomach and then it rises up to the mid chest in between my breast s I had to lay down and breath very deeply until the pain subsided. What could have caused this
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No serious worries for now, but proper clinical evaluation is must Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, The clinical presentation and symptoms you describe are very suggestive of gastroesophagal Reflux Disease. This is a disease that occurs due to reflux (movement of acidic fluid from the stomach back into the esophagus, the throat and at times the mouth). This will be more probable in case you have been experiencing in upper abdominal pain or acidic taste in the past. It s important to know the circumstances under which the pain was experienced (at rest, while doing some physical exercise), accompanying signs like nausea, vomiting or flushing. And also if this is the first time you are experiencing this or not. It is important to know if you have any past history of heart disease or not. Other heart diseases due to acute lack of oxygen could cause such symptoms. These are called acute coronary syndromes (stable and unstable angina and printzmetal angina). Doing a fibroscopy, a chest X XXXXXXX and an electrocardiogramme, coupled with a complete medical and family history could be very informative in making an appropriate diagnosis. I suggest you consult your doctor for a proper clinical review. feel free asking further questions in case you have any particular concerns. kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Bain LE, MD