Sharp pain in leg while lying down, diabetic. Cause?

54, 5'6", 230 lbs, diabetic. Just started experencing sharp pains in left leg, only when lying down. If I sit up or readjust leg pain eases or goes away. What is it.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 47 minutes later

Sharp pains in left leg which eases on readjustment is suggestive of nerve root compression. This can be due to Nerve root syndromes-these produce symptoms of nerve impingement (a nerve is directly irritated): Herniated discs, Spondylosis or Spinal disc degeneration.

This problem needs a medical attention and investigations like CT scan and MRI are entailed. I encourage you to consult an orthopaedician or a neurologist who can guide you through the tests.
Meanwhile taking methylcobalamin supplements and analgesics like Ibuprofen will help you with these symptoms.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.