Sharp pain in left side, bruise, applied ice. Something to worry about?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm 47 and in very good health. 6' -205 lbs no health issues. I eat healthy never smoked and haven't drank since 1984. Last week( wed) I threw a ball and felt a sharp pain on lower left side. It hurt for just a couple of hours then I was fine the pain wasn't bad I just notice it was there I had no signs of any bruises or anything. Sat morning I woke up with a huge bruise on my left side I feel no pain but it is very large about 4" by 8". Its on my left side right across from my belly button. Ive iced it but there is no change in size. is this somthing to worry about. thanks
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
It seems that there is a hematoma formation due to a muscle tear in the area.
Usually these swellings are self limiting and will regress in a couple of days. You might notice change in its colour when it heals, from red to blue and finally pale to normal skin colour.

Haematoma's are very painful. You can consult your family physician or orthopaedician and depending upon its size and severity they can decide to either excise it surgically or allow it to regress on its own. The only precaution that you must keep in mind is that it should not get infected (from any other source in body), cause if it does it will turn into an abscess.

In my opinion, do a hot fomentation with douche bag twice a day, take absolute bed rest, have anti inflammatory medicines with your physicians advice.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.