Sharp pain in left breast. Family history of breast cancer. Should I be worried?

Infertility Specialist
I am a 21 year old female college student and I just finished my menstrual cycle 10/26, and started my new birth control pack that day. My grandma has a history of breast cancer, so I am very adamant of doing self-breast exams,so I have a tendency to check extensively, sometimes daily and multiple times in that day. I noticed a sharp pain/soreness in my left breast during one of my classes that Monday, which caused me to go home and check. Both of my breasts, mainly my left, are sore. I have already made an appointment with a campus doctor for Tuesday, but I am very anxious about it. I just wanted to know if it is possible to bruise or cause breast tissue to become swollen from checking it too much, causing the soreness? Thanks!
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Weight
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
excess checkup

Detailed Answer:
Hi, i appreciate your regular self check-up examination for breast cancer prevention. But i am afraid you are over doing it. Repeated self examination might have given these problems. It mightalso be due to some occasional hormonal variations in body. Please dont touch your breasts for next one month and see the difference. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol