Sharp pain in forearm and wrist. Due to carpal tunnel?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a sharp pain that starts at the of my forearm but below my bicep and it runs straight down to my wrist and intensely consumes my entire hand in an immense and unbearable pain. this has gone on for years now and I have always been told carpal tunnel but its not the same symptoms and treatments for carpal do not work, so, what is it? and how can I treat it?
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 54 minutes later

Thanks for writing in,

It seems that you might be suffering from Pronator syndrome. Patients with Pronator syndrome can also experience such kind of pain. It occurs due to entrapment of Median nerve or its branches in the forearm. Usually pain is more while pronating the forearm or while doing repetitive stretching activities involving elbow. Patient's also find difficulty in pinching thumb and index finger.

An Xray of elbow/ forearm to rule-out any local pathologies and a nerve-conduction study will help us to diagnose the problem. site of compression of the nerve if any.

Avoid movements which aggravate your pain, avoid using tools like hammers and avoid stressful activities like cleaning items. Few cases might improve with local steroid infiltration at the site of compression. If the compression is severe leading to nerve palsy, then it might need surgical release.

If you have already undergone any such investigations, you can upload and send them to us to guide you better.

Get well soon,