Ask a Urologist   »  

Sharp pain in anus and testicle during a bowel movement. Am I pushing too hard? Will it go away?

Excellent

Urologist
Question
Hi, when I poop my right testicle and my anus tend to have a sharp pain. I think it's from pushing too hard and maybe I strained something. Will it go away eventually or is it serious?
Posted Mon, 28 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later

I understand your concern. It would have been helpful if also mentioned whether or now you have any kind of swelling, rashes, warmth associated with the pain.

Both anus and scrotal region have the same nerve supply externally. Hence you may feel pain when either of these structures have some pathology.

1. Constipation and hard stool may sometimes cause pain as described. Use of stool softener and plenty of water can take care of it. This is a benign issue which will settle down soon.

2. If there is swelling in any of these areas or if there is difficulty in opening bowels or if there is repeated pain in the testes, medical attention is warranted at the earliest. Torsion of the testes is common in your age group and this presents as immense recurrent testicular pain. If your symptom matches this description, you would need to seek medical attention immediately at the ER.

The bottom line is most likely you have a benign condition which should improve soon. However it would be good idea to rule out serious pathology for your benefit.

Hope this answers your query. Kindly get back to me for any further queries.

Get well soon!

Follow-up: Sharp pain in anus and testicle during a bowel movement. Am I pushing too hard? Will it go away? 17 hours later
Thank you for your response Dr. G. XXXXXXX There is no sweelling or blood in my stool and this is the first time it has happened. I am still able to poop with little or no pain so ill wait a few days, see if it subsides, and then take action. Like you said, I think it's benign but it's nice to hear it from someone who knows what they're talking about.

Thanks again, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 6 hours later

You are welcome. I am glad to know you are ok. Things should settle soon.
Prompt medical attention is needed at times of severe/repeated pain, swelling and other reasons mentioned in my previous answer. You can wait and watch for the progress.

If this discussion was helpful and you wish to post queries to me in the future, you can use this link and post a query directly to me.
WWW.WWWW.WW
I wish you a good and speedy recovery. Please do rate this answer by closing this discussion if you do not have any further follow ups.