Sharp pain around belly button with black vaginal discharge. Tested negative for cancer. Endometriosis?

I am 53. Have severe intermittent pinging sharp pain around belly button and down by right ovary.
Pain was severe a few days ago and I passed small amount of black discharge. Had same pain a year ago. I had a negative ultrasound and uterine biopsy for cancer 3-4 years ago. could I have endometriosis at my age? I am obese.
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later

Endometriosis is seen mostly between 25-35 years and occasionally in the very young but is uncommon in postmenopausal age. It is also associated with low BMI, seen in tall, thin women. Family history in a first degree relative enhances the risk.

With your symptoms and your age, I think that you should have a complete exam once again with a specialist. You may need a pap smear, ultrasound, blood counts and hormonal assays if needed. Ovarian or uterine pathology should be ruled out. Since the pain is recurring, you have to be careful.

Pain in endometriosis is related to menstrual cycles, exaggerated just before and during cycles and lessens after the period subsides. Pain is also associated with bowel and bladder movement and intercourse. In fact, symptoms depend on the position of the implants. A variety of ovarian cancer may develop in women with endometriosis.

Hope I have answered your query. If you need further clarifications, please feel free to ask. I will be happy to help.