Sharp muscle spasm under right breast. EKG & blood tests normal. What can cause this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Thank you - I've had a on going feeling just under my right breast to the left side - it feels like a spasm and it happens intermitendly - its been going on for years but more lately - two nights ago while lying down it actually hurt then yesterday while at my desk - it felt like a fist size sharp muscle spasm - this spasm was larger then the normal 7-8 small spasm's I get during the day. I've also experienced it to my right side just recently but fainter in feel - what do you think? I went to the hospital last night but my ekg was fine and so was my blood -
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
From your description it seems that the pain you are having is likely to be muscular in origin.
It can happen due to inflammation of costochondral joints in the area. Since your EKG is normal, cardiac causes are not likely.
Inflammation of costochondral joints is mostly due to a genetic predisposition. There are some autoimmune disorders also which need to be ruled out for their association like- fibromyalgia, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis reactive arthritis, and inflammatory bowel disease (such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease).
I hope you are not having any problems related to any other joint pains and bowel movements.
Pain killers, antiinflammatory drugs- steroids and lidocaine patch are the main treatments. You need discuss all options available with your orthopedician for proper treatment.
Meanwhile doing a hot compresses will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.