Sharp lower back pain with swelling, fishy mucus smelling stools. Remedy?

General Surgeon
I have been having problems with lower back pain in the left side, just above my bottom. Sharp pain with a little swelling. I have also noticed a fishy smell and mucus noticing also that 90% of the time stool is runny. I do have horrible acid reflux and am on meds provided from the Veterans Hospital.
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 29 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Acid reflux medicines block stomach acid secretion. Stomach acid protects our digestive tract from bacteria. When this secretion is blocked, bacteria infection of intestines is more possible. Besides that one of Prazosin sides effect is gastrointestinal infection.

Your symptoms may be caused by such infection. Diarrhea (sometimes with blood), abdominal pain, fever, nausea are characteristic for gastrointestinal infection. Fishy smell of stools can also appear.

Other possible reason of lower left abdominal pain and diarrhea is diverticulitis or partial bowels obstruction due to inflammatory bowels disease.

- Diverticulitis is a condition caused by constipation. Due to increased pressure in the intestine, some kind of pouches appear in the intestine wall. In such pouch, stool can get stuck and cause an inflammation.
- Inflammatory bowels disease can also give weight loss, blood in stool, bloated abdomen. Sometimes, joints pains can appear few months before abdominal pain.

Every diarrhea which lasts 48 hours should be checked with stool tests. That is why I suggest you to visit your doctor and have stool test, stool culture test, blood work, urine analysis. Colonoscopy should be considered.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.

Follow-up: Sharp lower back pain with swelling, fishy mucus smelling stools. Remedy? 58 minutes later
The diarrhea has been going on for about a year now usually following soon after eating within about 10-15 min. The back pain just started about a week or so ago, not sure if that might have anything to do with it or not just curious, thanks for your time
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later
Back pain can be caused by urinary tract infection. It is quite often present with chronic diarrhea. Frequent urinating and burning while urinating can be also present.

Your diarrhea should be definitely diagnosed as it lasts too long. If you associate your diarrhea with particular food, an allergy is also possible.
I suggest you to do not wait anymore, visit your doctor and have mentioned before tests done.

Hope this will help.