Sharp abdominal pain, flatulence and dizziness. All medical test normal. What is causing this?

For the past 6 weeks I've had intestinal problems. First, sharp pain on my right side, then more generalized abdominal pains. Much flatulence and some dizziness. Now better, but continue to have queasiness after eating during the day. By evening, I'm fine. I've had a sonogram for gall bladder, a cat scan for pancreas, blood tests and everything is OK. What could this be?
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 50 minutes later
It is good that all your investigations have come back normal.
Feeling bloated, nauseous, dizzy and mild pain in the abdomen is most likely due to GERD. This is a common problem and needs a regular treatment for relief. Stress, anxiety , alcohol, caffeine and smoking are the main culprits and need to be avoided as far as possible. Some other causative factors are-
2. Eating hurriedly without chewing properly.
3.Food allergies like beans, onions, etc.
4.Lack of exercise.
5. Improperly cooked food.
Losing weight and keeping your BMI around 25 also helps.
The simple measures that are likely to help you are-
1.Certain foods, such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts and legumes (beans) may worsen bloating and gassiness.
2.Dietary fiber may lessen symptoms.You should drink plenty of water, and avoid soda, which may cause gas and abdominal discomfort.
3.You can use some over the counter drugs like pepto bismol, tums, imodium, entrocalm, etc for symptomatic relief.
Daily exercises along with a low fat diet will help you overcome the problems.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Sharp abdominal pain, flatulence and dizziness. All medical test normal. What is causing this? 17 minutes later
What is BMI?

Is it necessary to test for food allergies?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
To know about ideal weight of person we use an index called BODY MASS INDEX (BMI).
BMI is calculated with the simple formula: BMI= weight in kg/height in metre²
According to BMI we can categorize people in three categories:
Underweight from 16.0 to 18.5
• Normal from 18.5 to 25
Overweight from 25 to 30
Obese from 30 onward
Testing yourself for any possible food allergies will be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.