Shared toothbrush. Would I be at no risk for HIV, syphilis, gonorrhea, hepatitis B or C?

May 2013
My good friend used my toothbrush in my home without my knowledge. At least 2 hours later I used the same toothbrush. Because of the time frame between usage would I be at NO risk for HIV, Syphilis, Gonorrhea, and Hep B or C? The toothbrush was in a holder exposed to air in bathroom for 2 hours before I used it. He says he does not have bleeding gums. I did not notice any blood on the toothbrush. I briefly rinsed the toothbrush with tap water before using. I then briefly brushed with plain water before brushing with toothpaste. I am happily married. He is engaged to a lady for 2 years. Can I stop worrying? XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

according to literature the diseases you mentioned usually spread by sexual contact, but hepatitis B and C may spread through toothbrushes if it contains tiny amount of blood and also as the life spans of these viruses outside the body are more than 2 hours,

the chance of transmission is more to people with dental caries or oral infection,
rinsing the toothbrush in tap water may help to some extent but complete protection can not be expected,
disinfecting with household bleach is recommended usually.
but don't worry this is possibility only, if you want and your friend agrees you can test for his serological markers for hepatitis.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.