Shaky, racing heart, lethargic, after food, postpartum. Hypoglycemia or hypo/hyper thyroidism?

For the last few weeks everytime i eat, about 10 minutes after eating i get very shaky,heart racing and kind of lethargic. I am 6 weeks postpartum, with no hypertension or diabetes during pregnancy. Could this by hypoglycemia or signs of hypo/hyper thyroidism?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 minutes later

After taking the food, there are some physiological changes in our body which can explain some of your symptoms.
1. Feeling lethargy is due to redistribution of blood. After meals, most of the blood supply gets deviated to the stomach to help the process of digestion. This decreases the blood flow to other parts of the body causing shaky feeling.
2. Racing of heart could be due to cardiac stimulation directly or through nerves which gets stimulated by the food passing through esophagus which lies next to the heart. Anxiety, consuming caffeinated or capsaicin food products can also be the cause.

Since the clear cause is difficult without physical examination, I encourage you to consult a physician to to rule out some pathologies like anemia, hyperthyroidism, hypertension, hyperglycemia, etc.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.