Shaky hands while playing. High level sportsman, smoker. What could be the reason?

Hi Dr. I play sports in a high level, which require stable body such as shooting, pool, snooker and darts. i'm 36 male, going to the gym almost daily, good shape. my problem is that, when I play my hands start to shake, whether am under pressure or not . start smoking since 10 months now. I eat well. Have not checked the vitamins level so far. Really need your help.
Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 9 hours later

Thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the problems you are experiencing.

From the clinical details provided to me it looks like you have action and postural tremors. Commonest cause for postural tremors in your age group is an enhanced physiological tremor and familial essential tremor.

Enhanced physiologic tremor is a strengthening of underlying normal physiologic tremor to more visible levels. It is generally not caused by a neurological disease but by reaction to certain drugs, alcohol withdrawal, or medical conditions including an overactive thyroid and hypoglycemia. It is usually reversible once the cause is corrected.

Familial or essential tremor runs in the family and is characterized by tremor in the hands and arms and slightly less commonly in the neck (causing the patient's head to shake), tongue, and legs. A resting tremor of the hands is sometimes present. Rarely degenerative conditions like Juvenile parkinsonism and Wilson's disease can cause tremors.

My recommendation would be for you to visit your Neurologist for a good physical examination and consultation. You need to undergo blood tests like thyroid and Vitamin levels to exclude treatable causes. There is no cure for essential or familial tremor. Many of the treatments available like beta blockers and primidone are to lower the severity of the condition. You can reduce the intensity of the tremors by avoiding alcohol, caffeine containing drinks and medications causing tremors.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate.

If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.