Shaking in stomach, jumping in stomach after eating

within 10 minutes or so after eating i get shaking in my stomach mostly under the left breast area and when i lay down for bed it's like my stomach is jumping
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding the symptoms which you have described.

From what you have reported it seems like you have some degree of irritability in your intestinal tract. This seems to be focused in your stomach. There are a variety of things which could be contributing to this.

The first thing that I would like you to focus on is a careful history of what you have been eating. This might help us find if there are certain types of foods which seem to be triggering your symptoms. Sometimes foods which are high in lactose can cause this type of irritability. In addition foods which are high in fat content may also caused this.

Also I would like you to think about the timing of your meals. If you lay down shortly after eating this might cause some irritability as well. I would encourage you to maintain an upright position for at least two hours after eating. I also see that you take omeprazole for esophageal reflux. It is possible that the inside of your stomach is irritated. We call this gastritis. What you might try for the next couple of weeks is taking this medication twice per day and then return to taking it once per day to see if this makes a significant difference.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope some of my considerations have proven to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to discuss those with you.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: Shaking in stomach, jumping in stomach after eating 42 hours later
would this condition cause coughing and spitting up blood?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 hours later
Hello and thank you for your follow-up question.

Regarding cough a condition of esophageal reflux might cause a mild degree of coughing. It would not explain any blood in the Sputum however.

if you are experiencing blood when you cough you should bring this to the attention of your doctor would order a chest x-ray to make sure there is no evidence of pneumonia or any changes in the lungs which are suspicious.

I thank you again for submitting your question and follow up. I hope you found my response and considerations to be helpful. Please let me know if there's anything else you would like to discuss.

Dr. Robert