Shadow over left eye, not painful, wearing contact lenses. Tumor?

Question
Hi mum is in Italy at the moment and I just spoke with her and she mentioned that 4 days ago she got a shadow over her left eye...not painful just there that she can see. Mum wears contact lenses and does wear glasses also. can this be a tumour? I am worried

Regards AAAAA
YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
It is extremely unlikely that your mother's symptoms are caused by a tumour. However, seeing a shadow over the eye could be due to several serious causes like a retinal detachment, a vascular occlusion etc.
She needs to have a detailed eye exam by an ophthalmologist. This is not something she should be ignoring right now. in fact, it would be good if she could go to the ER. The physician there should be able to dilate the pupil and perform a retinal exam,
Hope that helps
Let m know if you have any more questions.

Follow-up: Shadow over left eye, not painful, wearing contact lenses. Tumor? 1 hour later
Hi Doctor XXXXXXX thanks for your promp reply. Mum decided to go to the doctors so I am waiting to hear as to what the results are. Can the vascular occlusion of the eye be fatal if that's what it is. Could it be a floater as she said its cobweb like and there is no pain associated and she has no other symptoms??

Thanks

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 11 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
The vascular occlusion would not be fatal but it can significantly affect the vision. This can be painless as well. Even if its a floater, there needs to be a reason behind it. Most commonly, that would include some vitreous opacities, vitreous hemorrhage or some other issues.
Do let me know the ophthalmologist's opinion
Best

Follow-up: Shadow over left eye, not painful, wearing contact lenses. Tumor? 2 hours later
Hi Doctor XXXXXXX

Thanks again for your reply. Mum saw the ophthalmologist and he dialated her pupil and said there is a partial detachment of her retina as there is a leakage residue and drying of her eyeball at the back. What causes this ??

He gave her some medication to take called Vetreo Life which is a powder form and said that it would help her eye and he would review her again in 3 weeks time to see if things are on track.

Will the medication that he has prescribed mum be safe to take as she also takes pristque for anxiety?

Hi XXXXXXX
There are several causes of retinal detachment and it would be difficult to comment on the exact cause without a complete history and exam. About this drug, I am unable to find the composition ( as what you are telling me is the brand name). If you can send that across, I can comment on it.