Sexually exposed with a HIV positive person. Negative result shown in DNA PCR Test. Should I be worried?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
My boyfriend was sexually exposed with a HIV positive man on 12 th july and on 22nd july he did DNA PCR Test and it came negative. Can I be little bit relaxed??? He was anally sexually exposed. He went to Government hospital here and from there they told he can be fully relaxed. I am in big tension. I will die if something happen to him. How much doctor told here that DNA PCR is very accurate test and it can give result in 10 days. Please help me, There are any cases where DNA PCR HIV test came negative but later on it came positive on antibody test or in DNA PCR TEST??
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Hi XXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX

DNA PCR test is an antigen detecting test and highly sensitive and specific as far as HIV disease is concerned.

Proviral DNA appears 72 hours after the HIV infection(once the infection gets established). But it will be at detectable level only after 10 days of high risk exposure. Sometimes it may be delayed in some individual to become detectable after 21 days.
As it is possible theoretically to rely the result of DNA PCR after 10 days as it was told in your hospital, more conclusive results will be obtained only after 3 weeks.
So it is better to repeat the test after 3 weeks to your boy friend to be more confirmatory report.
Other type of antibody test will not be required further to rule out HIV.
Nothing will happen to your boy friend. You need not worry. He will be free from HIV. ( At the same time I want you to know that HIV is nowadays a well manageable disease with a life expectancy of more than 25 years by which time there is every possibility of a total and permanent cure will likely to come).
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Sexually exposed with a HIV positive person. Negative result shown in DNA PCR Test. Should I be worried? 44 minutes later
There are any cases where DNA PCR HIV test came negative but later on it came positive on antibody test or in DNA PCR TEST?

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 18 minutes later
Welcome back.

No. I have not come across such an incident and is not possible to my knowledge.

But we have to consider one more thing here.
HIV 2 infection can be detected by antibody test (HIV1&2) and also through Western Blot test, whereas most of DNA PCR is designed to detect only HIV 1 infection which is more common.
For HIV 2 infection special HIV 2 PCR is necessary which is not available widely.
So if one is infected with HIV 2 infection then there is likelihood of missing by DNA PCR and detected by antibody test.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Sexually exposed with a HIV positive person. Negative result shown in DNA PCR Test. Should I be worried? 12 hours later
if in any way my boy friend will come HIV positive, please suggest me how I can perform sex with him. I am a top guy. if i will penetrate him wearing condom, it will be completely safe? Can I kiss him deeply? Can I take pre exposure prophylaxis to keep myself safe?? What kind of sex I can perform with him??

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later
Welcome back.

All the exposures need not be infectious. There are people(30%) living without HIV in spite of their regular contact with their HIV infected spouses for years together and they are called as sero-discordant couples. So your boy friend has chances for not getting infected.

Protected exposure with a condom is always safe for you. Deep kisses may be avoided. This may be infectious sometimes when the infected partner has some oral problem. Hugging and mutual masturbation are safe. Oral sex also should be protected.
Wish you good luck.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Sexually exposed with a HIV positive person. Negative result shown in DNA PCR Test. Should I be worried? 1 hour later
pre exposure prophylaxis medicine like emtricitabine (FTC 200mg) and tenofovir (TDF 300mg) is available in India?? Can I take it??

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 13 minutes later
Welcome back.
Pre exposure prophylaxis (TDF+FTC) are well available in India. More than 4 companies have marketed already.
But your boy friend may likely to free from HIV. For another 19 days you try to have protected sex, preferably for ever.
How long you are going to have on Pre-exposure prophylaxis? Moreover it is protective upto 60-70% .
So protected exposure is more safe.
DR S.Murugan