Sexually active, red and skin colored bumps on vagina, discomfort during urination. Causes ?

Question
Hi im 25 years old and have been sexually active since i was 14 and just recently like with in the last three days i have been noticing some red/skin coloured bumps around the opening of my vagina its really itchy and sore when i pee it very uncomfortable is there any idea on what it could be?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
Hello.

From your symptoms it probably looks like vulvovaginitis to me which is inflammation or infection of the vulva and vagina.

It may be caused by chafing or friction rub which occurred after intercourse.
The second possibility is of an infection that can be caused by bacteria or yeast.
The third possibility can be genital warts.
The other reason can be an allergic reaction to soaps, detergents, shower gel and condoms etc.

I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need to get a pelvic swab sample done for the cervical discharge to rule out any bacterial or fungal infection. Apply cold compresses and wear cotton undergarments. Oral anti inflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful but they should be taken after a prescription from your doctor.

Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:
1. Avoid colored or perfumed toilet tissue and bubble bath.
2. Avoid feminine hygiene sprays and douches
3. Change out of wet clothing, especially wet bathing suits or exercise clothing, as soon as possible.
4. Cleanse the area by wiping or washing from front to back (vagina to anus) after urinating or having a bowel movement.
5. Eat yogurt or take Lactobacillus acidophilus tablets when using antibiotics. Check with your doctor.
6. Keep your genital area clean and dry. Use plain, unscented soap.
7.Lose weight if you are overweight.
8.Wear cotton panties or pantyhose with a cotton crotch. Avoid panties made from synthetic materials.
9. Get your fasting blood sugar checked to rule out diabetes.

It is also helpful to:
* Avoid overexertion, heat, and excessive sweating.
* Avoid scratching, which will only aggravate the problem.
* Delay sexual activity until your symptoms get better.
* Use condoms to avoid catching or spreading sexually transmitted diseases.

Get a Pap smear test done and try to take cervical cancer vaccination.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Regards.