Sexually active, canker sore on labia minor. Treatment can be delayed?

I'm a sexually active college student and I just found what looks like a canker sore on my labia minor. I'm leaving for a ten day vacation with my family in a few hours, flying to DC for a wedding, so I really have no time to see a Dr before we leave. Can this wait two weeks until I'm back home and can go to the clinic on campus?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later
A canker like sore on the labia minor can be herpes or some other sexually transmitted disease. It cannot wait for fifteen days for treatment as by then it may have spread systemically to other areas of your body.
You will have to attend to a clinic as soon as possible so that after complete examination a proper diagnosis is made and the required treatment can be prescribed by the attending doctor.
Genital sores usually do not respond to any over the counter available treatments and proper antibiotics and anti viral drugs are needed for remission.
If you cannot attend a clinic, use an OTC antiseptic as last resort.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.
Follow-up: Sexually active, canker sore on labia minor. Treatment can be delayed? 4 hours later
What is an example of an OTC antiseptic?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

You can use ointment neosporin or bacitracin or polymyxin-B based ointments freely available at all the stores. But these are very less helpful in viral infection like herpes. These will only prevent superadded bacterial infection.

Sincerely hope it will help.

Wishing you an early recovery.