Sexually active and cannot remember to take the pill. Suggest the best IUD? Does it cause any side effect?

Mar 2013

I was wondering whether or not the IUD is something that I could start using as opposed to taking contraceptive pills daily. I am not very good at remembering to take the pill and often times don't take it at the same time.

I am currently sexually active (and always wear protection in addition to taking the pill) my only concern is that I am not taking the pill correctly - and find it extremely frustrating to have to remember to take it every day.

I was wondering what type of IUD would be best for me and whether or not there are side effect to using one.
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
If you are not good at remembering to take the pill, it is not the correct choice for you.
The more common IUD is the Copper containing IUD.
Many women experience increased menstrual bleeding and infection with that, though it is an excellent choice for those who find it suitable.
The newer IUD is the Mirena, which contains hormones, and hence, is safer and has less side effects than the copper containing IUD.
With the Mirena, you might experience decreased menstrual bleeding ( could be only spotting ) or maybe complete absence of periods.
The IUD would in no way interfere with your future fertility.
I would recommend you another method which you will find more suitable.
This method has the same composition as the contraceptive pills, however the hassle of remembering to take a pill everyday is obliterated.
The first choice is the Nuvaring, the vaginal contraceptive ring , which is inserted once a month, and the effect is same as the pill.
The second choice is the birth control patch, which also can be similarly removed every month and a new one stuck on.
The implant in contrast, is subdermally inserted beneath the skin's surface, and is renewed every few years.
All these are excellent methods with minimum side effects , and they do not have to be ' remembered '.
Birth control is a highly individual choice, and hence in medical practice, it is always dispensed with a " cafeteria " approach - you offer all the choices and describe them and discuss the pros and cons, and the user picks the one she likes, or what suits her.
There are no mathematical rules for what is best - the best is what you find best.
Hope this answer helped you.
All the best, and I would be happy to address any follow up questions which you might have.