Severe vomiting, stomach burns and fever. Diagnosed with c-diff. High WBC. What is wrong?

For past 8 months I have suffered with 5 episodes of severve vomiting,diarrea, burning in the stomach and gas with accasional fever. On one accasion I was diagnosed with "c-diff" which I was treated for and have tested negative for in past two episodes. My white blood cell count on every occasion was exceeding 0000 and at one point was 0000. I really dont have any abdominal pain other then bloating, gas, nausea, vomiting, direarha, and a feeling of my stomach girgling through my intestines.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Such high WBC count associated with the described symptoms are suggestive of an infective or an inflammatory origin.

C-difficle is more of an oppurtunistic infection and is usally found in people who have an unhealthy intestinal mucosa or have received prior antibiotic therapy.

In view of the recurring nature - if it is infective one has to consider an immunodefeciency state. As it has started so late in your life a secondary or acquired immunodefeciency is more likely than a primary immunodifeciency state.

Among the inflammatory causes, Crohns disease is the most likely. But pain and weight loss are a prominent feature.

Other rare cause is if you had recurrent partial obstruction - once again as a sequelae to either intestinal adhesions, stricture or an inflammatory narrowing. Even these have some amout of abdominal pain as a prominent symptom.

Hence get yourself thoroughly evaluated for immune defeciency and intestinal health.

Hope I have answered your query. Do write back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you speedy recovery.