Severe vomiting and weight loss in early pregnancy, Blood in vomiting. Prescribed with Doxinate . Safe to take?

my 28 yr. old daughter, married, lives in India, is 12 weeks pregnant. She can't hold hardly any food or liquids down, and has been in bed for most of the past 2 months.She tells me her weight has dropped to 97 lbs. She is only 5'3, but this is light even for her. She throws up so often , that she sees blood in her spit now. When I skype with her, her face is drawn, and she has dark circles under her eyes. A Indian Dr. gave her Doxinate with vit. B6,
she takes it 3 times a day. However, who knows how much actually gets to stay in her system? Is there another safe med. that pregnant women can take, to up her nouishment intake?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 30 minutes later
Repeated vomiting and nausea is a common symptom of pregnancy and weight loss due to vomiting and reduced food intake is also common during first trimester.
To overcome the vomiting, doxinate is safe in pregnancy and relieves the symptoms upto some extent. In case the symptoms are not controlled then taking mouth dissolving antiemetics like Graniset will be helpful after consulting her gynecologist. Mouth dissolving tablets will have a better absorption in spite of vomiting.
She can take some general measures like-
1. She can start by taking soft, bland food: toast, bananas, crackers, plain rice, cooked carrots, boiled potatoes, baked chicken ~ no skin, etc. Such dry foods do not induce the vomiting.
2.Replace lost fluid and salts: Give her broth, soup, fruit juices, soft fruits, or vegetables. Give her clear soups, clear sodas or juice mixed with water to help prevent dehydration. She should avoid taking plain water and dark sodas.
3.Avoid the following foods: Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), Cold drinks - stick to Raw fruits and vegetables. Avoid fried & greasy food and fast food, spicy food, caffeine,etc.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Severe vomiting and weight loss in early pregnancy, Blood in vomiting. Prescribed with Doxinate . Safe to take? 13 minutes later
yes, but your answer doesn't speak to the blood in her vomit???
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Mild blood staining in the vomiting may be due to recurrent vomiting causing bleeding in the pharynx or upper esophagus. In case it is a single episode of bleeding then there is nothing to be worried about. In case the bleeding is recurrent then consulting a gastroenterologist will be helpful to find out the cause.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.