Severe vomiting and diarrhea before sleeping. Getting nausea and metallic taste in mouth. Any solution?

Hello. I woke several hours after going to sleep with severe vomiting and diarrhea at the same time. Stopped after about half an hour at which point I fainted. I came to, went to sleep and wake up every 30-45 min feeling sick but have not vomited again although very nauseous. Have a horrible metallic taste in my mouth. Have not drank water in fears of vomiting but will make an attempt. Being that I had a severe episode and fainted as well, do I need to go to the ER or is staying home ok?
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

You should visit ER if

You can not take orally.
Continuous vomiting
On going loose motions

You have fainted because of loss of fluids from your body due to vomiting and diarrhea.

Please visit your doctor and get treated.

In mean time, please do following which should help.

Take sips of water with sugar and salt.
Any juice or soup is fine.
Avoid solids for time being.
You can suck jello or ice, which will help in reliving sensation of vomiting.

The reason for sudden complain could be any, but timely treatment is must.

Please visit your doctor/ER.

Wishing you good health and speedy recovery.