Severe toothache, Clithomaycin, Advil, mucus and blood in bowel

Mucous secretion with Bright Red Blood
I had a severe toothache was prescribed Clithomaycin for 7 days, went to see the dentist after antibiotic was finished. I was also taking Advil every day after the tooth was filled. The pain was severe. I was actually taking 10-12 Advil a day for a few days. This Friday I noticed mucous in the bowl with Bright Red Blood in it. In fact, I saw it twice today. Seems like that is all that comes out at times. I am extremely terrified.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Chron's Disease
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 29 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query
Blood and mucus in stools is a marker of colitis. Colitis in you could either represent a random infection or a side effect of the medications.
Clindamycin is known to be associated with antibiotic associated Clostridium difficile colitis. This is an oppurtunistic infection and disappears after cessation of antibiotics. Taking probiotics will help and in extreme cases you may need a course of vancomycin or metrogyl.
Advil is a nonsteroidal NSAID) and these have been associated with colitis and stopping the drud and intake of fibres help.However if the problem persists even after cessation of medications check with your GP for other independent causes