Severe throat pain and heart burn. Elevated GGT liver enzymes, Vitamin D deficiency. Diagnosed with Lupus. Advice?

I have been having symptoms that no one can diagnose for about two years. Assuming no rare disease, and no microbes or parisites, i believe 99.99 of all of my symptoms are related to my vagus nerve and digestive system as a whole!Now with that being said about on oct 14th i went out for some beers to watch a football game. I hardly ever drink though!!!!That night and next day i had all over body itching and have had it ever since!!About two days earlier my throat was hurting and i remember two days before that my teacher told me she was sick!!I have had the sore throat ever since then(about seven weeks), then out of nowhere on about NOV 8th my joints and muscles and bones have become very tender and ache, in particular my hands and wrists and knees and hips.!!!I have a high GGT liver enzyme with all other liver numbers normal, Low vitamin D in the past and now i found out that my Autonuclear test was positive when i asked to be tested for lupus!!!They did other autoimmune tests and they were normal!!!Never had any throat cultures done!!My doctor thinks that my throat hurts because of heartburn at night!!I am very concerned about the joint pain and the sore throat and NON stop itching that is NOW waking me up at night as of last night!!PLEASE HELP as the Veterans ADMIN sucks!!!!!
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms are not related to your digestive system or vagus nerve. They suggest an autoimmune disorder of which Lupus could be one. You may require further evaluation in detail for the same.

Lupus is a chronic inflammatory disease that occurs when your body's immune system attacks your own tissues and organs. The symptoms occur in flares with asymptomatic periods in between during which you will feel completely fine.

It can be due to excessive exposure to sun, drug induced and hereditary at times.

You may require a throat swab culture to rule out streptococcal infection and also a repeat antinuclear antibody (ANA) test.

You can follow these lifestyle modifications at home, along with the treatment:

1.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
2.) Get adequate rest.
3.) Avoid alcohol and smoking, if you do.
4.) Exercise regularly for 30 to 40 minutes daily and maintain a healthy weight.
5.) Limit exposing yourself to sun, between 10am and 4pm. Apply a sunscreen lotion with a sun protection factor of 55 every time you go out.
6.) Do warm saline water gargles several times a day for sore throat.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available to answer your follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.