Severe throat pain after vomiting. Causes?

ENT Specialist
I have severe pain swallowing after throwing up last night. It even hurts to breath. What can I do about this pain? I tried keeping my throat "wet" and I tried hot liquids. It's a little like a lump before crying, but it's frightening and so painful.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Severe pain after vomiting is not common. Most people feel discomfort and relief (even if temporary at times) after vomiting.

2. If your singe episode of vomiting was forceful, projectile, unusually violent and you have petechiae around the eyes and in your throat, you must seek consultation with a doctor immediately.

3. You must get a chest x-ray or a Chest CT Scan if the severe pain persists to rule out Boerhaave's syndrome. XXXXXXX Weiss Syndrome is usually accompanied by blood stained vomit. A spontaneous rib fracture may have ocurred.

4. Painkillers will worsen any acidity and mask symptoms.

I must stress that the most common cause of severe pain is acid reflux. Mucaine gel will help. However, to rule out rarer causes like the ones mentioned above, you must seek urgent medical advice.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.