Severe stomach pain that go away if I eat or drink something. What could this be?

General Surgeon
Question
I have severe stomach pain the comes on as hunger pains first. These pains are severe and only go away if I eat or drink something. What could this be?
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Duodenum ulcer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Your pain is very characteristic for an ulcer in duodenum. Ulcer is a kind of wound on the surface of the stomach and/or duodenum. You may also suffer from nausea and vomiting. Such ulcer is usually associated with doctor and have gastroscopy done. During this test also H.Pylori infection will be checked and if present antibiotics are necessary.

In a meanwhile please avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, alcohol, coffee, chocolate, soft drinks.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Severe stomach pain that go away if I eat or drink something. What could this be? 8 minutes later
Thanks,

I just had another scope done a week ago. Dr. said I had stomach and esphoagal imflamation/redness. However, his report did not indicate any duodenum ulcer. Furthermore, it's strange that I never experienced this type of pain/symptom until after I had my gallbladder out in April.

Additionally, I had an ultrasound done last week, results were unremarkable. All bloodwork came back fine. This is very scary has this pain drops me to my knew. It only happens when I haven't eaten for several hours, then if I drink or eat it will slowly go away. As long as food or drink is my stomach I do not get the pain.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Gastroscopy result is a very important detail. Please note that now you do not have a gallbladder. So the whole bile is secreted to the duodenum instead of being stored in gallbladder. And as you have had stomach inflammation before, now this bile gets to the duodenum and stomach and irritate them. When you eat something, the food sinks in the bile so it does not irritate the stomach anymore.

Ultrasound or blood work are almost always negative in case of duodenum and stomach issues.

The other thing is that any surgery is a huge stress for whole body. Such stress can cause an ulcer what is called stress ulcer.

As a conclusion I suggest you to start Omeprasole 40 mg once a day (in the morning before any meal) treatment. If after a week your pain wont go away, you should have another scope.

Regards.