Severe sleep apnea and shortness of breath on exertion. Tested for heart and lung problems. Is it related?

Hi I am a 70yo man with severe sleep apnea. I have recently begun to have shortness of breath on exertion during the day. My Dr has done tests for heart and lung problems and they are normal. Could this day time shortness of breath on exertion be related to my sleep apnea? Thank you for your help XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Reduced lung capacity.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

In the absence of any cardiac and lung problem the breathlessness during exertion may be attributed to reduced lung capacity.

Sleep apnea happens due to lack of oxygen during sleep. Sometime similar happens during exertion.

Oxygen demand increases which the lung is not able to supply due to reduced lung capacity. His can be attributed to sleep apnea as well as age.

Request your doctor for Spirometry test to confirm whether the lung capacity is compromised.

Breathing exercises and chest physiotherapy may increase you lung capacity and help to overcome the problem.

Hope the answer helps you.