Severe sinusitis, polyps and cysts in sinus. Having blood clots and advised to take MRI. Advise?

I have just come out of hospital with severe sinusitus and polyps and cysts in the sinus. On my report it says was small lacunar infarct and a subcortical hypodensity can you tell me if it is any thing to worry about, as my consultant said everything was ok but I have to go to E.N.T. clininc. They gave me a C.T. scan when I went in then they were worried about blood clots and wanted me to have an M.R.I. which I could not tolerate so gave me another C.T scan with a fluid injected into my system,
Just a bit concerned that they are certain of no blood clots as I did"t have the M.R.I.scan
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible stroke traces...

Detailed Answer:

All the images and data gathered during your CT-scan suggest a past stroke (lack of oxygen due to brain vessels occlusion) which is being healed.

It is true that occlusion is related to blood clotting, however there are many other factors that should be considered.

For example, in certain people at your age, such CT-scan patterns could be considered normal.

Meanwhile, in some other people, problems with blood clotting, high blood pressure or dislipidemia should be correctly diagnosed and treated.

Therefore, I suggest to get checked for the above-mentioned problems, to start immediate therapy.

Do not get excessive concerned; as long as the right culprit would be diagnosed, and you will get treated correctly; there is no reason to get worry.

However, please bare in mind, that being 62 years old carries its own risk factors for many diseases, especially, those related to high blood pressure, and blood clotting. Fortunately, they are treatment for each of them.

If you have any other concern, do not hesitate to write to me.

All the best!
Follow-up: Severe sinusitis, polyps and cysts in sinus. Having blood clots and advised to take MRI. Advise? 15 hours later
Thankyou for your reply to my question. The reason I was so concerned is I am very claustrophobic and could not tolerate the M.R.I. scan that is why they gave me another CT scan with the fluid inserted into my system. I had a junior doctor tell me they would not find anything this way and I would have to have the M,R.I and then a consultant said it would show up ok and he was 100% confident that the CT scan would show any blood clots. So when they discharged me he said it was an old blood clot what many people get over 40 and there was no need for follow up treatment. So you can understand my concern when they are so busy and do not have time to explain things. So do you still think I should see my GP for further treatment for this. My general health is good, my blood preasure is normal and I am on no medication apart from mild asthma so I take an inhaler. Thankyou
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is good to follow-up with GP and go for M.R.I

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back to me with details.

According to your saying and what doctors told you, it seems that the CT-scan findings were considered normal for your age.

However, I strongly suggest to do the next follow-up with your GP after 6 months. Meanwhile, try to convince yourself about doing M.R.I won't cause you any harm. Think that it would take only few minutes and you will be out of that M.R.I scan again.

It is good that your general health is good and I wish you will continue like that. However, patients of your age I always ask for follow-ups (once in 3 or 6 months and up to 1 year).

All the best and "lots" of good health.