Severe seborrheic dermatitis. On zincplex, yeast over growth supplement and vinegar helps. Any other solutions?

I have severe sebborheic dermatitis
Right now and just started using Zincplex shampoo (zinc Pca), and spraying my scalp with XXXXXXX cider vinegar prior to shampooing. I have been to the dermatologist 3 times in 3 months and can't do the harsh shampoos and topical stuff. I also apply aloe. I am on a yeast overgrowth supplement for 1 week now and gluten free diet for about the same. The only thing that seems to help the itch and remove scale is the vinegar I have used for two days now. Any other suggestions as this flare up has lasted 6 months and I am a female who has now lost a LOT of long hair I have grown out for 5 years now. Help
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand your concern.

Having read your history i know that you have had lot of issues lately.

Hair and scalp health is a reflection of general health of body.

Any systemic illness, mental stress will reflect on hair in form of hair loss, seborrheic dermatitis.

You are most likely suffering from Telogen effluvium. A condition of diffuse hair loss due to a severe stress on body.

I would suggest you:

1. Take anti oxidant supplements like Vit C, Glutathione etc.

2. Take fresh fruits, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables everyday especially oranges, apples, citrus fruits.

3. Continue your Multivitamin, biotin, cysteine supplements as they are required for hair growth.

4. Use an antifungal topical medication like ketoconazole, clotrimazole in combination with mild topical steroid like desonide or betamthasone on alternate days after consulting with your dermatologist.

5. You can also take oral ketoconazole treatment for short course as advised by your dermatologist.

6. Antifungal shampoo like ketoconazole/climbazole/selenium sulfide /ZPTO with or without salycylic acid would be very useful.

7. Do some destressing activities and try to relax.

8. You can use above drugs after consulting your dermatologist.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please do revert back if you have any further queries.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr Sudarshan.