Severe persisting nausea, vomiting after eating, diarrhea. Diagnosed with UTI klebsiella pneumoniae and dehydration

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Does diagnosis come to mind with severe persistent nausea, vomiting after eating and upon awakening even small naps and severe diarrhea no bloody ...going on for close to one week ..was dianosed with UTI klebsiella pneumoniae with severe dehydration cr 3.4........urine now clear, cr 1.1 continues to still have severe nausea and is very much worse on waking and continues watery diarrhea
Posted Thu, 21 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 24 hours later

Thanks for posting your concerns here.

I cannot imagine the severity of discomfort that you are experiencing.

The symptoms you mentioned can be attributed to the prolonged antibiotic treatment you have taken for the various infections or a secondary gastrointestinal infection. You need to undergo stool examination and culture at the earliest to identify the organism causing loose motions to rule out infection.

Treatment can either be modifying your current treatment or adding a specific antibiotic to take care of gastrointestinal infection. Do not wait. Consult your gastroenterologist at the earliest to start treatment.

In the mean time, kindly ensure that you consume good volume of oral rehydrating fluid as that would be protective to your kidneys too.

I hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

With regards