Severe persisting nausea. Reason?

I have severe nausea in my throat. I feel like I could gag and throw up, but I refrain. No heartburn. No burning. No pain. No nausea in my stomach. I am very busy, but do not have any particular anxiety. I do have an appetite, but eating does not make the feeling go away. This has been going on for about a week.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and i will work on providing some good information and recommendations for you.

I realize that you do not believe you have classic symptoms of esophageal reflux but it is my strong thinking that you may have a small degree of what we refer to as silent reflux.

Silent reflux can cause a mild to moderate degree of nausea from time to time. Certain smells or situations may trigger the nausea as well. I recommend a couple of things for you to help the symptoms.

The first thing I would recommend would be for you to go to your local pharmacy and purchase omeprazole 20 mg tablets. I would recommend that you take one tablet with breakfast in the morning for the next 14 days. It will take at least five or six days in order for us to really appreciate any significant improvement of your symptoms if what you have going on is silent reflux.

In addition I would like you to focus on your diet and change your diet to focus on more foods which are bland in the nature. This includes bread, rice, applesauce and toast. I would avoid heavy or fried foods for the next couple of weeks. If you take any over-the-counter medications such as ibuprofen is can also cause your irritation of your stomach so it would be best to try to avoid any of those as well. It is my sincere hope that your symptoms will significantly improve within the next two weeks.

Of course one obvious thing which needs to be ruled out is pregnancy.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert