Severe pair on the left side of hip radiating down to ankle. What could this be?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi I have severe pair on the left side of my hip radiating down to my ankle. This is often on left side but sometimes switches to the right side. Thank You.
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follow following measures. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us The MRI report is suggestive of mild disc bulge causing slight compression over nerve roots. This is the cause of radiating pain. The main treatment of such pain is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with the symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from an Orthopedician or a spine surgeon after examination. Meanwhile you can follow these measures: - If the pain is severe, you needs bed rest till the pain resolves. - Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments. - While resting, keep a pillow under the knees if it doesn't bother you. - Avoid lifting heavy objects. - Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist. - Avoid exercises in times of pain. - Improvise the posture while sitting. - Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles. Hope this helps you. If you have any further queries I am happy to answer, if no kindly close the query. Wishing you good health...Take care. Regards