Severe pain in wrist, worse when touched, limited movement. Why did that happen?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
For no appareny reason yesterday i developed severe pain in my wrist. I opened a door and all of a sudden it brgan to hurt. Top of my hand and wrist painfull to touch very limited mobility without pain minor swelling
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 9 minutes later

What appears from your history is that you have injured your wrist joint.

The probabilities are there is a hematoma commonly what they call the sprain.

The best treatment for you will be:
1] Apply ice to the swollen area
2] Give rest to the wrist by applying an elastocrepe bandage [DO not lift weight in the injured hand]
3] If there is bad pain, take some anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen.

Hope all clear; if you do not have further queries do accept the reply.

Get Well Soon.
Follow-up: Severe pain in wrist, worse when touched, limited movement. Why did that happen? 40 minutes later

I kind of thought that and I have had wrist sprains before but usually, something happened I could attribute it to. Like I said I did nothing but push on a door to open it. The pain is quite severe it kept me up last night. I will follow your directions how long should I wait before no improvement to go see a Dr?

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 11 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

I can understand your anxiety but occasionally sprains do occur without major injury

If there would have been anything else the swelling would have been sizeable

Yet if with the measures advised the pain continues for more than 48-72 hours you should consult a doctor

Hope all clear

Get Well Soon