Severe pain in throat. Getting crack sound while swallowing. What's wrong?

ENT Specialist
I woke up with a pain in the right side of my throat by my Adam's XXXXXXX yesterday. The pain would worsen when I sneezed or blew my nose. Just now when eating I heard and felt a click or crack in the same spot when swallowing and the pain has intensified. What is wrong?
Posted Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later

Thanks for the query

The symptoms described by you seems to be of Acute pharyngitis.

Acute pharyngitis is the sudden onset of inflammation of the throat, characterized by throat pain, fever, enlargement of the lymph node in the neck, etc. The crackling sound in the neck could be due to opening and closing of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear) secondary to the sinus infection.

Do not worry! With appropriate intervention this can be taken care of.

You can try the following:
1. Drink plenty of warm water – this helps in improving the blood circulation, keeping the mucosa moist and relief from pain
2. Try taking antibiotic such as a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime
3. Try taking anti-inflammatory medicines such as diclofenac or ibuprofen for the relief of pain.
4. Do gargles with povidone iodine solution for the speedy recovery.
5. Also, avoid smoking/chilled food & beverages/alcohol/coffee till you recover

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon