Severe pain in the upper back, mucus in throat. Taking exputum. Opinion and suggession?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have severe pain in my mid to upper back in the middle. I have mucus in my throat and finding it hard to breathe at night espec.. Im drinking alot of fluids which contains honey mostly. Im takin Exputum to dissolve the mucus but the pain in my back worries me. any ideas
Posted Fri, 6 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Hello ,
Pain in chest / back along with cough or breathlessness could be due to an underlying inflammation of the pleura( covering the lungs) or lungs & airways.It can also be either an associated musculoskeletal pain due to excessive coughing or breathing difficulty.
Since you have throat congestion and breathing difficulty which is not relieved by a expectorant medication and home remedies , it's advisable to get yourself evaluated by your physician to rule out respiratory infection and it's complications like pneumonia or pleuritis etc.
The doctor can examine you and if needed get a chest X-ray done to confirm the diagnosis and start appropriate management like antibiotics and antiinflammatory medicines.
I appreciate your efforts as a health conscious individual and you should continue to drink plenty of fluids which ensure faster recovery .
Please do not panic as I don't intend to say that it's definitely something serious .I just want to say that your symptoms definitely need further evaluation by a doctor for the best management and it's advisable to rule out any significant cause for the pain as mentioned above.
With appropriate medications like antibiotics , antiinflammatory and bronchodilator medications you might feel much relieved and recover well in a couple of weeks .
So please do not worry and seek prompt consultation .
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries .