Severe pain in the lower back and abdomen. Chocolate cyst found in sonography. Suggested pain killers

my girlfriend has a severe pain in lower back and left abdomen. Sometimes it pains in the entire waist region. Sonography tests revealed the presence of a chocolate cyst. On consulting a urologist he recommended a pain killer. But the problem is persistent and happens mostly in the nights and comes on and off. Please suggest a course of action.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 52 minutes later
Hi there. Sorry to hear about your girlfriend's difficulties and thank you for posting here.

Sonography can reveal an ovarian cyst but can not differentiate out a Chocolate cyst from other types of cysts.

I am not sure if a Urologist is the right person to be consulting for what is essentially a gynecological problem. I think your girlfriend should be seeing a Gynecologist.

The first step is to make an accurate diagnosis and this might involve having a laparoscopy. It may well still turn out to be a Chocolate cyst but at least now you are on solid ground.

Treatment may require suppressing ovulation using the BC pill. Or ultimately it may require surgery, depending on diagnosis and response. This is a process, not an event.

Please accept my suggestions here. If you have any further queries then please revert. Good health!

Follow-up: Severe pain in the lower back and abdomen. Chocolate cyst found in sonography. Suggested pain killers 47 hours later
Hi Sir,
Thanks for your response. We are going forward with a laproscopic procedure. Could you please tell me as to what preparations has to be done pre and post this procedure to make it as painless as possible.
Also could you please tell me if there is any other alternative to laproscopy as it seems a scary thing to do from googling about.

Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 15 hours later

Thanks again.

The doctor (gynecologist) at the clinic will tell you what you need to do before and after laproscope. It may mostly involve a check up of her medical fitness before the procedure and some medications – antibiotics and painkillers after the procedure.

Today this is a very routine and easy procedure. Please, you have nothing to be scared about. Your girlfriend will be fine.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept the answer if you do not have any further follow ups.

To her good health!