Severe pain in the knee. Having torn cartilage. Cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i am haveing sharp pains in my right knee,i also have torn cartalage
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
When there is a torn knee cartilage, pain is expected if you do not provide adequate rest to the joint. Avoid weight bearing at all costs for early recovery. Minor injuries do heal spontaneously on conservative treatment whereas surgery might be needed in some cases.
You can hasten your recovery by:
1. Give enough rest to your knee- use a knee brace.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help. You can get these prescribed from your orthopedician.
4. Hot compresses to your knee will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. Calf and hamstring stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist after the acute pain subsides completely.
6. Generally we recommended, rest, graded exercises, rest and graded exercises to let you know the right amount of time you can spend on exercise without injuring yourself.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.