Severe pain in shoulder, numbness in fingers and facing difficulty to raise arm. Prognosis?

Pediatrician
Question
HI,

For two weeks I have had severe pains in both my shoulders and going down both my arms with some pins & needles in fingers and thumb on my right hand, also a couple of days after pain started I noticed that I could not raise my left arm very much as ceraisuss inteiria muscle in not working properly so shoulder blade is sticking out when I try to raise my arm - I have had the same thing happen 2 years ago but on my right arm / shoulder, is it all connected?

I went to docs and on pain killers and anti inflammatory tables and being referred to a Othopadic consultant in 2 weeks.

Do you agreed with above action? Do you think I should be having a MRI scan at this stage to gauge how bad the problem is?

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX ,
Thank you for your query.
These are signs of compressive neuropathy.
The commonest cause would be cervical spondylosis with neural compression.
The pain is all interconnected.
You should consult an orthopedic and a neurologist.
You should also check your blood pressure and blood sugar.
MRI would be the best investigation right now.It will denote the naure and extent of the problem.
You need physiotherapy and traction right now along with the pain killers.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.

Follow-up: Severe pain in shoulder, numbness in fingers and facing difficulty to raise arm. Prognosis? 1 hour later
Hi Dr Samik,

Thanks for the reply, are you saying it sounds like a slipped disk in the neck?

what would I need blood pressure and blood sugar checked for?

Also do you have any idea of recovery time?

Thanks,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 7 hours later
Its actually degeneration and mild protusion of the disc causing nerve compression.
In this disease other causitive causes like hypertension and diabetes should be excluded.
Recovery time will depend on the extent and seriousness of the damage.With proper measures you should get relief in 7-14 days.
Bye

Follow-up: Severe pain in shoulder, numbness in fingers and facing difficulty to raise arm. Prognosis? 6 hours later

I'm only 33 so is that no too young to have degeneration of the disc?

Also I've already had for 14 days and not really improved much so would that suggest it is more severe?

Thanks,
XXXXXXX

Hi.
Degeneration starts after the age of 30.
It is accelerated by diseases like hypertension and diabetes.
Yes, it maybe be severe.So go for a MRI.
Wishing you all the best.
Bye