Severe pain in neck and hand. Started vomiting after taking tramadol and zeodol. Any cure?

Neurologist
Question

While travelling for 34 hrs in train, my wife is complaining about right hand side pain from neck to hand. We try to put volin and moov with bandage. Now its one week, pain is getting increase more and more. We had consult Orthopedic Surgeon. He has given MyoSpas TH 8 mG, Neugaba M75 , Sompraz 40 and Beplex Forte. But having these medicine in night she is having more pain. Then she has taken hinec pain killer. Next day she called her family doc which is out of station, he suggested Tramadol and Zeodol TH8 and stop all other medicine both medicine twice a day. Day was fine for her, but now she is vomiting like any thing. What ever she eats, she vomit. Pls suggest some thing, which atleast stop vomit.
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 6 hours later
The pain from neck to the hand suggests that there may be a pressure over the nerve in the neck region. One possible cause of nerve compression is by a disc prolapse. This can occur due to sudden twisting injury to the neck or some such jerk. For making a diagnosis an MRI scan of the neck region would be required. If it shows compression of the type that I mentioned, then treatment options are traction, physiotherapy, surgery.
Tramadol can cause nausea and vomiting in a few patients. Additionally Zerodol may cause gastritis and in that case it needs to be taken with drugs for acidity like rabeprazole, pantoprazole etc.
She can also apply ointments or sprays (like volini) for pain relief to the neck area.
The other drugs which she took (neugaba, sompraz) were also correct and probably she will need to take it little more longer.
I will not be able to really prescribe everything on this online portal and I would advise to visit a neurosurgeon or a neurologist for the testing and treatment.
Hope that answers your query. If you have more queries, I will be happy to answer.
Good luck.

Follow-up: Severe pain in neck and hand. Started vomiting after taking tramadol and zeodol. Any cure? 2 hours later
Thanks a lot for reply. Kindly suggest some good doctors of neurosurgeon or a neurologist for the testing and treatment in Bangalore.

Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 10 hours later
You can consult Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX (Neurologist) in BGS global hospital in Bangalore. He can guide you further.
Good luck.

Follow-up: Severe pain in neck and hand. Started vomiting after taking tramadol and zeodol. Any cure? 4 days later
My wife’s MRI scan reports attached.

Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 8 hours later
Sorry I am not able to open MRI report and the pictures are too low quality. Kindly resend the MRI report.
Good luck.

Follow-up: Severe pain in neck and hand. Started vomiting after taking tramadol and zeodol. Any cure? 9 minutes later
The impression of MRI Cervical Spine Report is Decreased hydration and minimally diffuse bulge of C5-6 and C6-7 intervertebral discs with no endplate spondylosis or facet arthrosis. Mild indentation of central canal. Normal lateral recesses and intervertebral neural foramina with no neural impingement.

Please let me understand the root cause of this problem.

Thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 13 hours later
Thanks for the report.
The MRI changes are suggestive of mild cervical spondylitis. The pain could be due to this and additionally there may be a ligament/ muscle sprain in the neck which is causing the pain.
The treatment options are cervical collar and pain killers (whichever she is able to tolerate better). She should take the treatment for 2-3 weeks and within that period the pain is likely to subside and injury will heal.
She will not need surgery with this MRI report.
Hope that answers your query. If there are more questions, i will be happy to answer.
Good luck.