Severe pain in leg and hip area. Taking anti-inflammatory drugs. Diagnosed with fibromyalgia. How to cure the pain?

Hi, I am a 57 yr old female diagnosed with fibromyalgia.The last 3-4 months I have been having pain where the leg and hip area XXXXXXX on the outside area of my leg. The pain has gotten so bad at night that I can not sleep on my right side anymore. This keeps me awake with the pain even after taking anti-inflammations and icing it. I have a burning/searing pain on the top of my right foot if I sit on it(very seldom) or turn a certain way(putting on my shoes). It is like I am being shocked starting with my toes and working up my foot. I seems like the big toe is not really affected. If I barely rub them I can feel the pain in my foot. I have noticed that it is hard for me to flex my right foot compared to the left. It takes a LONG time for me to even move my foot if I am sitting in a chair with my leg extended. Can you help me PLEASE!!
Should I go to a chiropractor or my general doctor first?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 3 hours later
hi there, thanks for asking. Fibromyalgia cause a severe pain as you mentioned. It is usually accompanied with depression. On the other hand, it does not respond to anti- inflammatory drugs as you mentioned. The drugs from the class of tricyclic antidepressants can treat the pain and also sleep problem in these people. It can also help the low mood which most people with fibromyalgia have. tramadol is not a good choice for the pain in this situation. Especially if you are overweight, it can cause more pause of breathing during the night. So it can enhance the tiredness during the day. Let me know if you have any question. I wish you a good health.
Follow-up: Severe pain in leg and hip area. Taking anti-inflammatory drugs. Diagnosed with fibromyalgia. How to cure the pain? 24 minutes later
With my fibromyagia it is not a severe case. Seems like the barometric drops in the weather will irritate it occasionally. I am more concerned about the pain by the side of my leg. Could that be bursitis? I am worried with the searing pain on the top of my foot. I can not move my foot to flex it when I have my leg extended and that has never happened in the past. It is getting much worse - could that be nerve related. I don't know who I should go see first!
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 12 hours later
Hi there, thanks for asking. You should go to an orthopedic surgeon, or a rehab doctor or a podiatrist in order to deal with this issue. It can affect the sleep quality because it can cause restless leg syndrome and periodic leg movements. These are common reasons for the sleep problem. Sometimes a medication to control this problem is given by a doctor to improve the sleep quality. You can ask more about from your doctor. I hope you deal with it soon.