Severe pain in left leg after taking femilon tablet. Is this DVT? Should I visit the ER?

I am 29 years old, and recently i have started taking femilon tablet after a doctor suggested it to me 4 days ago, i have severe pain in my left leg since morning, i am afraid that it might be DVT, should i visit an emergency room right away or wait to talk to my doctor in morning, my leg is not red or swollen right now.
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May wait till morning; try leg exercises for now

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

Although DVT (deep vein thrombosis) is one of the well-documented side effects of femilon; the symptoms of DVT of legs are more than just pain. For your reference I shall list the other symptoms as well, they are: swelling in the legs (especially your feet and ankles), increased temperature in the region, and changes in the skin color.

As you just have pain (one symptom), which I understand is quite severe; I would still recommend you wait till tomorrow morning and visit your doctor instead of just calling him/her up, because a physical examination would be the best option. This can also be followed up by a doppler ultrasound scan of the affected leg (which is the gold standard investigation for diagnosing DVT) and a blood investigation.

So, you need not visit the ER as of now, but please do visit your doctor tomorrow; and in the meantime you may try to use compression stockings (if available) and keep exercising or moving your legs to keep the blood flowing to your legs. I hope this information helps you, please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications or information.

Best wishes.