Ask a Dentist   »  

Severe pain in front of the ears and jawline. Could this be TMJ or something else?

Hello Doctor XXXXXXX
My grandma is 80 and she suffering from severe pain near ear along the jaw line, few months back she complaint about mild pain in jaw and now it has grown real severe, I would like to know that is she suffering from TMJ or is it something else. How would we cure and what medicine would be best suited so that we can cure pain. Please suggest and give your precious advice.

Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 1 hour later
Hello and welcome.

Thanks for writing your query.

Pain in front of the ears and jawline can be seen due to several reasons such as:

TMJ problems like dislocation of the joint, fractures ,inflammation in the TMJ area or disocclusion. Altered biting habits may lead to pain in front of ears. This makes mouth opening, biting and swallowing difficult.

Other than this, tooth infection spreading to the surrounding structures may radiate pain to ears and jaws.

Cysts and abscess in relation to jaws or infected teeth may also lead to pain in the jaws.

Parotid gland inflammation and swelling also leads to pain in front of ears.

These are the possible reasons, but exact diagnosis can be made only after clinical examination. So please visit a dentist and get the evaluation done.

You may need an OPG radiograph done for you, which will help in ruling out the problem. Accordingly treatment can be planned.

Meantime, you can start with analgesics with anti inflammatory drugs to relieve pain.

I hope this helps.

Do write back if you have further doubts.

Follow-up: Severe pain in front of the ears and jawline. Could this be TMJ or something else? 3 hours later
Thank you so much for your reply, Would you please name some analgesics with anti inflammatory drugs to relieve pain. What other test may be necessary.
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 37 hours later
Hello there ,

Analgesics like Tramadol gives good results in relieving orthopedic or bone related pain other than this lornoxicam with paracetamol can be used , but this depends on whether the pain is muscular or orthopedic pain.

My suggestion would be, to consult a doctor before staring any medication . It is necessary to rule out the exact cause of pain and accordingly treatment can be planned.