Severe pain below rib cage with upset stomach. Any liver problem?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
I get severe pain on right side below rib cage and pain also goes to middle of my back. Only thing that helps relief this is to throw up. I know your liver is on that side. Could I have a liver problem?
I get a lot of stomach aches and upset stomach. I'm gassy. And get bad migraines.
Posted Fri, 11 Jan 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms are very characteristic for gallstones. The pain usually appears after a meal, often associated with nausea and vomiting. Sometimes such symptoms can be also caused by pancreas diseases or peptic ulcers, however gallstones are most probable.
To have it diagnosed it is necessary to have abdominal ultrasound performed. Liver tests (AST,ALT,GGTP), amylase, bilirubin and urine analysis should be done as well. The only way to have it cured is laparoscopic surgery with gallbladder removal.
You should also avoid alcohol, spicy foods, fatty foods.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Severe pain below rib cage with upset stomach. Any liver problem? 6 minutes later
The pain usually appears during the day and gets worse as it gets later in the day and if I eat anything it make it worse like I can't digest the food and that's when I have to throw up. Cause the pain gets worse throughout the day by nighttime it's unbearable to where I can't sleep let alone sit or lay down till it runs it course. I did find with the last episode i just had that a hot bath and heating pad helped some. I'm usually up till like 1am. Nothing I take helps to speed up the process.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 minutes later
Hello!

So your pain gets worse after a meal. This is very characteristic for gallstones. Hot baths gives you relief because warm water makes muscles relaxed and the reason of your pain is gallbladder contraction so the bile cant get out of it.
Wat can give you some relief is pain killers with muscles relaxing effect like Buscolysine, Metamizole, Papaverine.
You should consult your doctor as this condition can lead to gallbladder inflammation.
And it wont go away by its own.
Hope this will help.Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Severe pain below rib cage with upset stomach. Any liver problem? 14 minutes later
This type of stomach pain only happens like 1x/month. Could it still be gallstones

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 minutes later
Hello!

Yes, it still can be caused by gallstones. It can cause pains once in a while. It does not have to be constant pain. This is also very characteristic for gallstones. The symptoms may appear and disappear. Such episodes are called "gallstones attacks". And you never know when the next attack will appear. Usually fatty or fried food triggers the attack.

Hope this will help.
Regards.