Severe pain at the back of the neck while swallowing, neck feeling tight, not muscular pain

Infertility Specialist
Hi. I'm a 38 y/o male. 6' 2" 195lbs. Last night the back of my neck felt tight. Today it felt the same pain but I get a shooting pain in the back of the neck when i swallow. It's very painful but quick. It doesn't feel like muscle pain at all.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

The complaints that you have appear to be due to acute muscular strain rather than any other serious pathology.

- Most episodes of acute neck pain are due to a muscle strain or other soft tissue sprain (ligaments, tendons). This type of injury can be caused by a sudden force (such as whiplash resulting from a car accident), or from straining the neck (such as a stiff neck from sleeping in the wrong position, or a strain from carrying a heavy suitcase).

- Most minor injuries to the ligaments, tendons and muscles in the neck usually heal with time (a couple of days or weeks) because these soft tissues have a good blood supply to bring the necessary nutrients and proteins for healing to take place. Nonsurgical care, such as ice and/or heat, medications, physical therapy, can help alleviate the painful condition while it is healing.

- For patients with neck pain that lasts longer than two weeks to three months, or with predominantly arm pain, numbness or tingling, there is often a specific anatomic abnormality causing the symptoms which can be confirmed by radiological imaging techniques.

Hence based on your description, you are likely to have a simple sprain of muscles or tendons which will gradually come down soon. Just follow supportive treatment. You can take muscle relaxant tablets like ibuprofen which is available over the counter.

Hope this answers your query. Should you have any additional concerns, I will be glad to guide you.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol