Ask a Dentist   »  

Severe pain after chipped filling. Had root canal treatment. Any infection?

I had a chipped filling and went and got a new replacement filling. I was having severe pain after a couple of weeks so I was told I needed root canal treatment (I WAS VERY ILL). It was replaced temorary, and two of my teeth had already started to wobble beside this tooth. The wobbly ones were x rayed and I was told they were fine, they were perfect prior to root canal. I was still sore and went for my first procedure of root canal, and still had signs of infection. The dentist did some of the root canal and gave me antibiotics. Tonight i was having supper and one of the wobbly teeth crumbled and fell out, and i am very worried. My teeth were great before. please advise me. Is it the dentists fault?
Posted Sun, 20 Jan 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 5 hours later
First of all , I would like you to visit a specialist (endodontist).
Also, we cannot blame your dentist as the condition of the tooth might have indicated root canal treatment at that time, but due to recurrent infection pain is still present.
Sometimes the infection spreads rapidly involving the adjacent teeth and weakening their surrounding bone.
In such cases, tooth starts to wobble as the supporting bone is weak enough to hold the tooth in place.

In my opinion, you should see an endodontist soon so that the root canal treatment can be completed followed by placement of a crown over it.
For the tooth that fell out, you can get it replaced with a fixed partial denture or an implant.
For the other tooth which is still wobbly, if it is restorable then your dentist might save it by placing splints over it or if not then it might need an extraction followed by placement of a denture or an implant.

I hope this answer was useful.
If you have any further queries, kindly write back.
I wish you good health.