Severe lower back pain and rib pain. Safe remedy?

General Surgeon
sever lower back pain also up the side including my ribs
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later

As per your history, you have undergone L5 decompression surgery in 1995.

You are doing swimming and exercise. Whether you are doing them with the advice of your surgeon? Because during swimming and exercise, the whole musculoskeletal system will be involved. More chances of pain. I think you can do them with the advice of your Surgeon. Your age should also be considered.

Nerves exit from the Spine. So, if they are entrapped or involved due to any reason, pain will be present in their supplied area.

Pain in the sides up the ribs is mostly due to Musculoskeletal cause only.

Please consult your Neurosurgeon and get an MRI done for correct diagnosis. You can also ask for an Ultrasound abdomen to exclude any abdominal pathology/kidney or ureteric stone.

Till then, you can take Muscle relaxants and over the counter available analgesics like Acetaminophen.

Give adequate rest to your back. Let me know if you have more concerns.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.