Severe leg pain, often get swelling and black dots on legs. Does this indicate any underlying heart issue?

Dear Doctor,

My father is having severe pain in his left leg. pressure - normal. non diabetic, age 66. treatment was given by dermatologist as he was having black dots in the leg and very often leg gets swollen. hard worker. friends, relatives confusing me saying that the symptoms are related to heart problems. Kindly advice and guide me.

Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Its very unlikely that this should be a heart problem. Leg swelling in heart failure usually involves both legs, produces some depressions when pressure is applied, intense in the morning and reduces during the day. Other signs and symptoms of heart failure too are absent in him. He has abnormal blood pressure. There is usually breathlessness on least effort, cough at night and other symptoms.

Swelling on one leg requires careful examination of local predisposing factors. Local enlarged lymph node that might block venous return, parasitic infections like Wucheriria Bancrofti, tumours are supposed to be considered.

I suggest you book an appoint with an internist for a proper clinical evaluation. Thanks and hope this helps Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.